mardi 16 juin 2015

Seagate Hybrid Drive

Lately, I have replaced two laptop drives : a Toshiba MK6475GSX 640GB Jan-2012 and an older and failing Seagate Momentus 5400.6 320GB. I've swapped them with two Seagate ST500LM000 2.5" 500 GB that I bought on LDLC for ~70€. I've copied the data with a mix of sfdisk, dd and ntfsclone, obviously I've had to change the partitions sizes for the 640GB -> 500GB and I've had to realign an ext4 partition. Editing sfdisk input file and playing with parted was alright.
The performance is very good, somewhere between 100-120MB for reads. There's no burst when the data is on the 8GB SSD, but it feels like everything is smoother and faster. I don't have hard stats but it seems to me that the real issue with classic laptop drives is there lack of buffer, usually 8-16MB. Well, with a 8GB SSD, that's no longer an issue. The laptops are running Windows 7 and Debian. Everything is transparent, nothing to configure, it runs fine out of the box. So I'm happy with these cheap upgrades.

(I am writing in English because I wasn't able to find any user comments (!= review) on the ST500ML000 before I purchased them, so I'm just sharing).

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire